Tuesday, March 30, 2004

"Big Fish"

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Easily my favorite Tim Burton film ever, and the first non-LotR film I've seen in theaters recently that I feel I *must* own on DVD. The soundtrack ain't shabby either.

I'm not sure what it was that made this film resonate with me so. Perhaps it's my own personal fascination with the art of storytelling, and with personal fantasy. It focuses on a lot of classic themes (high ambition, undying love, loyalty) without trying to give them some sort of modern or negative twist. It's elegantly simple that way, and I think that it has a lot of the same aspects that cause me to love "O Brother, Where Art Thou." It even had me crying near the end.

My only complaint is that it was robbed of a Best Picture nomination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home