Sunday, February 01, 2004

A Night at the Opera

I attended my first opera, Verdi's La Traviata, last night at the UGA Performing Arts Center. I didn't really expect to enjoy it, but I figured that since I'll probably never get another chance to get a 4th row center seat for $8, I'd seize this opportunity. And I'm glad I did.

I really enjoyed it. The singers were excellent, as was the orchestra, and I recognized a couple of the pieces as well. Unfortunately, the supertitles did not work properly, so there was no translation of the lyrics. But I reminded myself that generations of opera-goers did without supertitles, so I should be able to do without them as well.

As an added bonus, the lead soprano was a far, far cry from the stereotypical "fat lady." She made that 4th row seat infinitely more enjoyable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home