Friday, October 24, 2003

Domestic "Relations"

Georgia, like most if not all states, has a statute criminalizing incest. It's a felony, punishable by up to 20 years imprisonment, and the age and consent of the parties is irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether the relation is by blood or marriage, and up until today, I thought the creepiest aspect of the law was that sex between first cousins is legal.

But then I noticed something: only heterosexual incest is illegal. It's a felony for a man to have sex with his daughter, or even his step-daughter, but not with his son. I suspicion that this oversight is due to Georgia's now-repealed sodomy law, but it makes for such a bizarre current state of the law, I can't help but suspect that no one in the legislature has noticed yet. I think a letter to my state rep might be in order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home